Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Corn Palace, Badlands, and Wall Drugs

Whew! what a day we had... We started today with the corn palace. I do have to say it was kinda corny... Sounds kinda crazy but it is really a big attraction.. Lori, Emi and I were more impressed with the gift shop. Then as we were walking out and actually looked at pictures, we learned they change all the corn out every year and it cost $130,000 a year to do it.

Then we got in the car and rode, rode, and rode some more. Let me tell you South Dakota has some of the straightest interstates and flat I might add, I have ever seen. And, for miles nothing but hay fields. We saw a sign that said "get gas now, or get gas can later", so we decided we would go for the gas. When you get off of the interstate the roads are gravel. So the towns which are very small have gravel roads. We also learned when you see a sign that says scenic overlook, you need to stop. It doesn't matter if all you have seen for miles is FLAT, it means something is coming up. We finally learned this when Thad and I saw one of these signs. I said, "Scenic overlook, you must have to climb something to over look", Just over the top of the mountain you overlooked a HUGE valley and a river. It was like FLAT, and then there it was! It was beautiful!!!

Next stop was the Badlands. This was one of those "Scenic overlooks" we stopped at. I can't tell you how amazeing this place was. Out of all this flat land comes these huge rocks, and cliffs. We also saw Praire dogs on the side of the road, and they actually bark!!! Tons of them.

For MILES, and MILES you see signs they say, "Wall Drugs" A must see!!!, Well, we saw, the only thing that was a must see or shall I say a must taste was the homemade donuts. WOW! We saw a sign advertising them and that is all Emi talked about until we got there.

I know I mentioned about all the deer dead on the side of the road. Well, we decided the deer in South Dakota seem to be a little smarter than the Iowa ones. The South Dakota deer are not dead on the road (most of them anyway) they are eating all the hay in the hay fields. We have noticed when someone says look at that deer, the next response is, Is it dead or alive.

Tomorrow is Mt. Rushmore, or as Emi says the place with the heads, and Sturgis. Nothing is at Sturgis, Thad just wants to go to say he has been and it is right here. Well, I will sign off now. It is 3:30 am your time, and 1:30 am here. Thad and Brandon are snoring away so that means I am AWAKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment